Saturday, May 9, 2009

Life History: Ethel Rose Clifford Arnett


(16 May 1924 - 27 May 1989)

I, Ethel Rose Clifford Arnett, was born in the springtime of the year. I've often wondered if the Lord let us choose our season of the year to come to this planet, which was to be our home during this phase of mortal existence. I've always liked the spring season. Anyway, it was a Spring Morning about 7:00 a.m.,May 16, 1924 that I first made my appearance here on earth in a small tent by the San Pedro River in St.David, Arizona.

I was the first child of six children born to my parents Alfred and Rose Clifford. My mother gave birth tome without any kind of anesthetic as most women did in those days. Since having given birth to five children of my own under modern conditions and conveniences, hospital, doctors, anesthetics etc., this has made me more appreciative of the sacrifice and suffering of my mother. Dad said that mother had eaten that night some new honey they had just extracted, and that was what she thought was wrong with her. Of course, I being her first child, she soon learned different.

My father is Alfred Angus Clifford. He was born 5 Nov 1901 at St. David Arizona. His father was Lee Angus Clifford and his mother is Ada Ethora Christensen Clifford, who is now living it his time in the year of 1965. She is the only grandmother living at this time.

My mother is Rose Mary Busby Clifford. She was born 1 Oct 1902 at St. David, Arizona. Her father was Abraham John Busby and her mother was Clara Grove Goodman Busby.

Some of the following are memories of my mother: I remember my mother being very faithful in the church. She always attended her church duties; She was Relief Society and Primary president for many years in St. David. She was always visiting the sick and those of misfortune. I remember her taking us to Primary and Mutual; she was in all church activities.

She taught me how to pray. I was taught to always keep the Sabbath Day holy. One day I didn't feel well and I stayed home from Sunday School. I washed out a few of my clothes while the rest of the family was in Sunday School. I hung them on the clothesline and when mother came home, she really did give me the "devil" for washing on Sunday. Ever since then, I've always had a guilty feeling if I had to wash on Sunday. Mother always taught us that the Sabbath Day was a day of rest and a day to attend your church duties. This day was appointed by the Lord for worshipping him.

Mother always set an example for us to live by. She has been ill in her life and many a time I've seen the Elders administer to her and this gave her much comfort and strength.

I remember coming home from school, always hungry, knowing that mother would have something good to eat.... the wonderful smell of freshly home made bread and a new batch of beans. Mother always was a good cook. She always had a good meal for us and mealtime was always a pleasant time at home. I don't ever remember mother screaming at us (like I find myself doing, I've often wished I wouldn't do this). Mother expected us to obey her and we did. We were spanked, sometimes with a hairbrush when we needed a spanking. Just a look of disapproval from her was more effective than any spanking. It seemed to hurt worse.

Saturday was always a day to clean house and prepare for Sunday. We would press our clothes, shine our shoes and take baths in the wash tub by the kitchen stove. We were always prepared and ready for Sunday, something that we need to do more often in these days. We never had to press clothes on Sunday when I was young. These things were taken care of on Saturday the day before the Sabbath. My mother has been a source of strength and comfort to me in my life. She reminds me of a great stalwart tree. The winds, rains, lightning have prevailed upon her, but not once has she wavered! The sorrows trials and tests she has had to bear on this earth have refined her as pure gold! What a blessing and privilege to have her as my mother!

Some of the memories of my father are: When Dad was working at the Powder Plant he would get up early in the morning and go into the kitchen and cook his breakfast. Betty and I used to call, "Dad, come and get me." We loved to have him come in and gather us out of bed and carry us into the warm kitchen. Dad would always do this for us.

I don't ever remember Dad spanking me. He would shout at us to "Cut it out", but I never can recall him ever giving me a spanking. I must remember to ask him sometime if he ever did.

I think my dad could out "cuss" any ran around. Whenever he got mad he would let go of this "lingo." I think he has tapered off in his later years! Dad was raised in Nacazuri, Mexico; he learned to speak the Spanish language very well. He could always talk with the Mexicans around us, At this time I'm taking a Spanish Course with Howard, trying to learn a little of this language. I'm finding it sort of difficult Howard is much better at it than I am; he has the advantage of being able to speak it with his Mexican hired hands. He made an "A" in the last test and I only made a "B". This really got to me-much to Howard's amusement. Anyway, I'm determined I'm going to learn to speak this Spanish, at least enough to understand when it is spoken.

Dad was always good and kind to Mother. When she was ill, he would clean the house, wash the dishes, and cook for us. I especially enjoyed those Parker House Rolls he would make for our supper at night. Dad has always been good to his children, probably too good. Even to this day Dad will go into the kitchen and help out with the dishes. Not many men like him in this old world. He was especially kind to Grandma Busby in her later years when she stayed at their home. He was always patient and understanding with her. I remember Grandma Busby telling me how much she appreciated this. She told this to me when I was staying at Mother and Dads' going to Summer School.

I will never forget the day we left Clifford, our oldest son in Tucson. Cliff was going to stay with them and attend the U of A. It was the first time we had ever been separated from him. It was time to say good-bye and go back home to Blythe. I remember saying, "Dad, I don't know I can do it." We both choked up and he answered "Well, you now know how we felt when we had to say good-bye to you." It seems like these things always come back to you. We understand and love our parents more as one gets older, especially when one has to go through these things that they have had to experience.

Dad worked at the Powder Plant, an explosive plant. It was just over the hills from St. David. This was always a great worry to me. Many men were killed in explosions there. I always lived in the fear that Dad would be blown up. I remember the day we were sitting in Study hall at school when we heard the explosion, that terrible fear gripped me. I wondered who it would be this time...this time it was Dorothy Grice's Dad. We had gone to school together from first grade through high school. Dad had many close calls. His place of work caught on fire and they don't know to this day why it didn't blow. I feel his life has been spared for a reason. When Dad was about two years old, his parents moved to Nacazuri, Mexico a mining town. His dad, Lee Angus worked there in this mine. In the center of this little town is a statue in memory of a young Mexican boy. Perhaps, I would not be here today writing my life history, if it had not been for this young Mexican boy. There was a train that would run through this town everyday. This one particular day it came in loaded with explosives and dynamite. In front of the cars loaded with explosives was a car with straw in it. This straw had caught fire! Crewmen abandoned the train and left it right in the middle of this town. This young Mexican boy who was about 18 or 19 years old jumped into the engine of this train and pulled it out of town before it blew. He was killed. He gave his life to save this down and its inhabitants. My dad was standing with his mother in their yard when the train blew. A wheel from this train landed a few feet from them. We feel that Dad's life was spared for a purpose. In his patriarchal blessing, it tells him that there are thousands in the spirit world who have accepted the gospel and are waiting for their work to be done. Through dreams and visions he can accomplish this great work. We feel his life has been spared so that he and his family can accomplish this work and get it done.

Dad was always a hard worker; he was always busy. He would spend 8 to 10 hours at the Powder Plant, and then he would come home to chores and other work. He always provided well for his family. I always remember having plenty to eat, clothes to wear and a good place to live in. These things I'm grateful for and give thanks to Dad. He supported and encouraged us to live up to the Church standards and to attend our duties. So like Nephi of old, I am grateful for being born of goodly parents. This is a great blessing!

I have one sister and four brothers. My brothers are Floyd, Harvey, Clinton (Jay as they now call him) and Gary. My sister is Betty. Betty is very dear to me. She is my one and only sister. She is the most faithful and humble woman I've ever known. Whenever I hear the phrase "endure to the end" I think of Betty. She hasn't had the blessing of having a companion in the gospel in this life. She's had to raise her family in the church alone, under many obstacles with no encouragement. She's been a great inspiration and example to many. And it has made me appreciate the blessing of a temple marriage and the priesthood in my home. I've had the great comfort of knowing that the Priesthood of God was available and was used during the trials and tribulations in my home.

My four younger brothers were active in sports, playing football, basketball, baseball and just plain "ball." Even today after having families of their own, they like to take off... and "play ball!" I was about seventeen years old when Gary, the baby brother was born. Mother was sick for most of his early years so I took over. I bathed, changed and fed him. I think I worried more over him than I have over my own.

The first house I remember living in was a small two roomed one. I would get out of bed and come into the little kitchen and sit down by a little pink table by the stove that I had gotten for Christmas one year. Mother would let me eat breakfast there on this little table. There was a little pantry of some sort off to one side of this small kitchen. While we were living in this house, Betty, my sister was born. It was here that Betty fell in the pigpen with a vicious pig. Grandpa Clifford who was visiting us, happened to be close by and grabbed her out, saving her from "no telling what".

One day I was pulling Betty in a little red wagon and I jerked it throwing Betty backwards. She struck her head on the cement and it knocked her out. This time Great Grandpa Christensen was there visiting and he saved her life by pulling her tongue out and breathing into her mouth. Today we would call it mouth to mouth resuscitation. Another day Betty put a button from her shoe into her nose. Mother and Dad had to take her to Tucson to the Doctor to have it removed. Mother had saved up $12.00 to buy a new coat but she had to use the money to pay the doctor to remove this button from Betty's nose.

One afternoon Great Grandpa and Grandma Christensen came down to our house to visit with us. They came down quite often as I remember and sometimes they would eat supper with us. This day mother had made a new batch of beans. I remember seeing Grandpa Christensen sprinkle sugar over his beans. He seemed to think that this would help the "gas problem" in beans. I remember secretly trying it later, and I didn't like the taste. This just made him that much more fascinating to me. It was this same day that Betty climbed in Grandpa Christensen's Model T Ford and got her hand caught in the car door, so again they had to take her to the doctor. I think she still carries the scar to this day. Betty was always stirring my adrenaline up by her accidents.

Grandpa and Grandma Christensen's home is still very vivid in my memory. It was an adobe house sitting off from the road down in a field. It was close by the St. David Cemetery. I used to love to go to their house, because it seemed sort of "strange" and different to me. There was a fireplace with logs burning in it. I still can smell the logs burning. In the corner of this room was a big high bed with a big white ruffled bedspread around it. And all over Grandma Christensen's walls were these pictures with big oval frames. These were enlarged pictures of all her children, and relatives. At Christmas time Grandma Christensen would hang a big red paper bell from the ceiling. I never see one to this day that it doesn't bring back memories of Grandpa and Grandma Christensen.

Looking back now, I think the passing away of these grandparents was the first experience I had of a death of a close relative. I can recall the sense of loneliness, the strange feeling I felt the day Grandma Christensen died. She died one morning and then two days later Grandpa Christensen died.

Aunt Rose Campbell made quite an impression on me when I was young. She lived down the road from us toward the river in a yellow house. She was Grandpa Busby's half sister. She always had a very neat and orderly house. She was an immaculate housekeeper. Out on her back porch was sort of a wooden barrel that was filled with pickles. I still can taste those delicious pickles; I've never tasted pickles like that since. Also whenever I think of Aunt Rose Campbell, I think of sweet peas. On the east side of her house were these sweet peas, how thrilled I would be when she would pick some and give some to me to take home. The smell of sweet peas seemed to be so much more fragrant in my younger days than now. When I would go down to Aunt Rose's house I could hear her whistling before I got there. She would always whistle while she worked. Aunt Rose used to fascinate me when I was little. She was a thin woman, always busy. Several times if I was down to her home when it came suppertime, she asked me to eat with her and Uncle Will. One day she had some cold cuts for supper baloney, cheese, etc. Oh, I thought, isn't this something! It really tastes good to me. I also remember seeing Aunt Rose curl her hair with a curling iron. She would put it down inside the chimney of the coal oil lamp, when it got hot, she would take it out and roll a lock of her hair up tight. Sometimes it would be too hot and burn her hair. There was another great Aunt I remember that lived in St. David. Aunt Vil Scranton, she was sister to Grandpa Busby. She had red hair, while Aunt Rose had black hair.

I lived among many relatives, relatives on both my grandparents' side. I went to school with many of my first, second and third cousins. There were cousins all over the place.

I have been very fortunate in my life of being able to be around and have the associations of my grandparents, especially Grandpa and Grandma Busby. I was very close to them. I lived in their home and have visited in their home many, many times. While going to the U. of A., during my freshman year, I
lived with Grandpa and Grandma Busby. They lived exemplary lives and taught me many good things. Some of the earliest memories I have of Grandpa Busby are brushing his hair with a wire brush under the big cotton wood trees in the back yard of his home. I'd shoo the flies from him while he would doze or take a nap. I think all of his grand children had this "honor", I think some didn't care too much for this great "honor", but no one ever refused to do it. We never said, "We didn't want to" to Grandpa! I loved to be around Grandpa Busby. He was very firm and strict with us, yet we always knew he loved us. Whenever he said,"No" then we knew that was what he meant. When he said to do something we knew we had to do it. Many times Grandpa would take us to Whetstone Mountains with him. There we would ride the horses, watch them extract honey and just have fun. Grandma would make jerky gravy and biscuits for breakfast... I remember some of those biscuits would have a funny taste. I still don't know why. One time when we were up in the mountains, Fay and I were in the house and we decided to go outside and play, we went out the back kitchen door. Fay went outside first and I noticed she jumped over something. Then I could see it was a snake... a rattlesnake! I often wonder if we ever did get the color back in our faces. Grandpa was always killing rattlesnakes up there in the mountains.

Later on, I went up to these mountains with my grandparents and as we came around the mesquites, there was no house! It had burned down. I can still see Grandpa just walking around with a funny look on his face. When one is young things seem so big, far away, more so than they are in later years. The Whetstone Mountains seemed so far away from St. David. Going to the mountains with Grandpa was a long, long trip, a great distance!

Grandma was a little, short woman, always busy. I never saw Grandma just sitting! She was never idle. She was always cooking, crocheting rugs and doing household chores. She expected the same of those around her. If there was work to be done she expected us to help. She was a thrifty woman, her early years of hard times taught her to be careful and frugal. She would never think of giving her grandchildren a whole apple to eat. She would cut it in half and give it to you. There was to be no waste. When I was a young girl, a freshman at the University, she would cut an apple in half if I wanted some fruit. It kind of bothered me then, but now I know that this was just a habit with her.

I remember Grandma Busby would make rice pudding for me because she knew I liked her rice pudding. I loved Grandma Busby. When I stayed with them in Tucson while going to school, Grandpa would come in the evening and say, "Let's go for a ride, Ethel". I'd have to drive. Grandpa would have me drive down the Ajo Road, or down some streets I didn't even know were in Tucson. Grandma loved to go for rides! Grandpa and Grandma Busby had a great influence on my life. I mention these grandparents and others because they helped shape my life. They more or less shaped my character, my way of thinking and what I am. We are the fruits of parents, grandparents, friends and our associations whether we wish this to be or not. This I hope my children will understand early in life. I hope they will seek for only the good and righteous ones for companions and friends.

I lived 18 years in this small Mormon community called St. David in Southern Arizona. One of the earliest and most vivid memories I have of this small town is the old big green cottonwood trees whose limbs hung over the main road in this town. It was beautiful, to me anyway. Many a time I've walked from the church or the store to my home under these cottonwood trees. The earliest memory I have of this St. David store, which was owned by the Merrills, was taking an egg to the store to buy a piece of candy. Mother would give me an egg and we could buy a piece of candy for an egg. I must have been quite small because I remember reaching way up to hand the man my egg, then I received my candy. We moved from the little two-roomed house up to Grandpa Busby's old home. They had moved to Tucson where they had bought a Slaughtering House Business.

I really enjoyed this new home because of the trees. I don't know why trees were so important to me in my earlier years. On the east side of this house was an orchard Grandpa had planted. There were apricots, peach, pear, apple, plum and fig trees. I remember climbing the big apricot tree and eating all the apricots I wanted. They were big, orange and juicy. I would then climb the big fig tree and eat some. When I got through I would be itchy all over. When our stomachs were full we'd catch June bugs that were very plentiful around this fig tree. We would tie a string around their legs and hold on to the string as they would fly around and around. How we would scream and yell when they would land on our
heads.

I can still those little blue sour plums around the water tank. But they would make delicious jams and jellies. Mother would make the best jams from those figs and apricot trees. There was a big black walnut tree by this one big apricot tree. We would crack them open and have to "pick" the goodie out. Oh, the taste of a Black Walnut! I can still taste the Black Walnut homemade ice cream mother would make from these nuts. Betty and I hated to shell these Black walnuts for cakes or ice cream. There was a cement tank of water sitting by the side of the orchard just as one would go out the gate to the main road. It had moss and plants in the bottom of it. We would never swim in it because of this. I remember very vividly the bad tasting water that was here at this place. And was it ever hard, we never could get a good shampoo.

I always enjoyed the big cottonwood trees that were in the back of this home, it was always shady and cool there. There was a cement cellar, which we could climb and stand on the top. On the west side of this house was a grapevine with purple grapes. Grandpa Busby taught me how to eat them without having to spit out the seeds. Just chew around them. I've never been able to teach my children the "hang" of it. I did teach Howard, my husband how to do this. After reading this Howard said that is one thing I did manage to teach him!

I cannot forget to mention the "old outhouse" down by the barn. We never did have indoor plumbing at this house. I used to get real mad at Betty. Whenever it was dishwashing time, she'd have to go to the "outhouse" real bad! How she hated doing dishes, I started school when I was six years old. I started the first grade in St, David and graduated from the High School there. I remember being frightened most of my first year. Thelma and Fay, my first cousins went with me. Thelma was always getting into trouble and talking continuously. I was always afraid for her, she worried me sick. One day our teacher Miss Busby put some tape on her mouth and set her up in front of the class by the front door. She was up there some time when a knock was heard at the door. Miss Busby went to the door and opened it, guess who stood there? Aunt Frances, Thelmas' mother! I still can see Miss Busby reach over and jerk the tape off Thelma's mouth before Aunt Frances came into the classroom.

I went into the second grade the next year. Miss Tilton was my teacher. The only thing I remember about her was watching her doze at her desk. She had the hardest time staying awake. Since teaching the second grade myself for the past eight years, I now wonder how she managed to keep order or teach anything. These bright, alert children now days really keep the teacher "hopping". There is no sleeping today.

Aunt Luella taught the first grade the year I started the second grade. Betty was in Aunt Luella's first grade room. I have been especially fond of Aunt Luella, a sister of my mother. She has been a great help to me in my teaching career. I've always had a great desire to be like Aunt Luella. She is a very humble, sincere and quiet woman, but is intelligent, gifted and very efficient. I'm grateful for having known her. The most vivid memory I have of attending the primary grades was the unpleasant taste of cod liver oil. Some scientific discovery of that day decided that school children needed cod liver oil for rickets or something, which I'm sure some children did need, but not all of us! We got it whether we needed it or not! We would have to line up every morning, open our mouths while they shoved a big spoonful of the stuff down our mouths. Then to top it off they handed us a square piece of soft candy (which did not taste like candy) to eat. This was to take the oil taste out of our mouths. I swear I do believe that it just had more cod liver oil in it. Oh, how I hated that cod liver oil! It still makes me shudder. Then, of course, I had parents who believed very strongly that one should take castor oil in all sickness. To this day I have never given my children a dose of castor oil! Ugh.

I spent many of my very earliest days playing in the back of Uncle John's house down by the river in the sand. There was a big swing on one of the big trees by the river. We would swing way out and turn loose and drop into the warm, soft sand. What fun this was! We played and swam in this old San Pedro River many times. When it would rain hard, the San Pedro River would really have a flood in it. I can still see that dark brown, muddy water swirling with white caps as it rushed down the riverbed. It was terrifying to me when I was small. How frightened I was when Uncle John tried to swim that river when it was flooded. I remember one day floodwater running down the road in front of our house and nearly running into our house.

Some of the fondest memories are the Sunday dinners with Aunt Amy and Uncle Eskers' family. We would always have big dinners. Aunt Amy and Uncle Esker would come down from Bisbee to their farm in St. David on the weekend. Aunt Amy is another favorite aunt of mine. Looking back it seemed Aunt Amy and Mother were especially close. Growing up I have spent many a day in my aunts' homes, Aunt Margaret, Amy, and Luella. Loved to go to Bisbee and stay with them. I received a nickname from Uncle Gus while staying in his home, it was "Step and Fetch-It". An old tin garage door was shut on my foot. The Busby family has held many a get together and reunions and it was always a joy to me to be among them. These cousins, uncles, aunts have always been part of me. I can still hear Aunt Amy opening the door on Christmas morning, and I mean early, shouting "Christmas Gift!" We would race to see who could shout it first. Aunt Amy with a twinkle in her eye would always win! On Christmas Eve we would always go to the Church for a program and then Santa Claus would hand out a sack of candy and nuts with maybe an apple or orange at the bottom.

I took my first piano lesson from Aunt Lizzie Merrill, who is still living at this time. She was a sister to Grandma Busby. I also remember Aunt Lizzie's Sacrament bread. She took the bread to Sacrament Meeting for the sacrament. She would make this bread, it was homemade. This bread had a sweet taste and to this day I can still taste that Sacrament Bread. Whenever I see Jack Wright we still recall Aunt Lizzie's bread that was used for Sacrament. Why do these kind of things stay in one's mind? I remember the good times I used to have in St. David with Clara, Thelma, Fay and Betty. We spent many a happy hour together in each other's company. Our mothers would can corn together down in St. David around Labor Day. It was up to us to shuck the corn, brush the hair off, and scrape it off the cob. We would spend most of the time just giggling. We could just look at one another and start to giggle. We really enjoyed ourselves, must have driven our mothers "mad". Clara, especially, was a happy girl. One could not be around her with out having a great time. How I loved Clara. She had very few inhibitions; she was able to mix with everyone. Many a time we would go with Gerald Plumb, riding in his car or riding donkeys up and down the river and washes. Spent most of our time just laughing and giggling. Oh, the hour of youth and no cares. How quickly it does pass!

I graduated from grammar school and became a freshman in High School in the year of 1938. These were happy days. I played the violin in the High School Orchestra, sang in the Chorus, sang in trios, duets and even sang solos. I had the leading singing part in an Operetta. I loved to sing. Since that time I've sung in many Church choirs, trios, duets etc. During the last few years I've developed a hernia in the diaphragm, the muscle partition separating the stomach from the chest cavity, and it bothers me a bit and this has curtailed my singing. This I have regretted, because I would still like to do more of it. I have a great desire that one of my children would love to sing and excel in it. I wonder which one will grant me this wish. I experienced what most young girls experience in High School. I was cheerleader, participated in class plays, loved to go to dances, and had my first puppy love. How that Alfred Trejo could set my heart racing! Loved to play volleyball, tennis, and just sit under the trees on the High School grounds eating lunch. Youth is the sunshine of one's life! I think there were 12 of us that graduated in the year of 1942. Goodness, that is twenty two years ago. I graduated as Salutatorian and Barbara McRae was the Valedictorian.

I remember the day Pearl Harbor was bombed! We were down to a Stake Conference in Pomerene, Arizona. Apostle Lyman was the speaker that day. Looking back now, he must have already apostatized at that time. He spoke on love and courtship, seemed to dwell on the subject. I recall a young girl got up, apparently had to go to the rest room. He stopped speaking, and in a very arrogant manner seemed to say the very idea of disturbing him. He waited till she walked down the aisle and out the door. It was very embarrassing to every one. Every one felt ill at ease. At least I felt this. It was not a behavior one sees in a General Authority or an apostle. Shortly after, we heard the news that he had been excommunicated. Even the very elect can fall. This incident that day has stayed in my mind. After this morning session, we came out of the building, there was Bob Nelson, a cousin now passed on. He had been crippled from osteomyelitis since childhood. He had been sitting out in the car listening to the radio and heard the news that Pearl Harbor had been bombed. The news stunned us but it wasn't until the next morning at school that we fully realized we were in War. We were sitting in Study Hall and heard on the radio President Roosevelt give the statement that War was declared against Japan and also Germany. We were in War! I remember the strange feeling I had that day.

After graduating in the Spring of 1942 I went to Tucson. That summer I worked at the Telephone Company, then that Fall I registered at the University of Arizona as a freshman. I received my degree from that institution twenty years later in the year of 1963. I lived with my Grandparents Busby while
attending my freshman year at the University of Arizona. I was eighteen years old when I entered college. I stayed there a year.

It was this summer before entering the U. of A. that I first met Howard, my future husband. I didn't know it then, of course. Fay and I had gone to church in her car and afterwards attended the Fireside Chat at Frances Post's home. This was during the war years, and there were soldiers stationed every where. The LDS soldiers from Davis Monthan Base would get passes and come into church. That particular night Howard and his friend Dale Ballard came into church. Well, I met Howard that night! Since Fay had her car we took them out to the base afterwards. Howard and I made a date for the following week and we went to the "La Jolla", sort of a nightclub. We danced and talked. Then we made another date for a couple of nights later. But this time Howard didn't show up, he was to meet me at the Telephone Company where I was working about 8 p.m., after I got off work. In his place was his friend Dale Ballard. He said that Howard couldn't keep our date. He was at the train station right then being shipped out. So Dale took me to the train station and there was Howard. There were many people around the train saying goodbye to the soldiers. Howard was standing by the side of the train waiting for me and Dale. We just talked and it wasn't too long until the Officer said it was time to take off. Howard took me in his arms suddenly and kissed me for the first time! I left that train station with mixed emotions! I didn't see Howard, until two and a half years later. He was sent overseas soon after this. He and I wrote back and forth, but there was nothing in these letters that would indicate that we meant anything to one another than just being casual acquaintances.

I stayed in Tucson one year going to school, then I moved to Bisbee. Betty, Fay, Annie and I rented an apartment close to Aunt Margaret's house. We worked at Fort Huachuca, Arizona, a colored base about 40 miles from Bisbee. We commuted back and forth. There were white officers stationed at this Fort. Of course, there were soldiers all over the place, some in Douglas, also. We dated them, went to the base dances, went across the line into Naco, and danced many times at the "Gay Nineties". Also there was a returned missionary who came to Bisbee from his mission, I got carried away and decided the thing to do was to get an engagement ring. This soon passed, and we called it off. I left Fort Huachuca and came back to Tucson. My folks had then moved from St. David to Tucson, I came back and lived with them. I worked at the St. Mary Hospital in the Bookkeeping Department, with the Catholic Nuns. This experience taught me to appreciate my own religion more. The nuns were constantly trying to convert me. One nun gave me a prayer book. It was a prayer with a lot of "Hail Marys" in it. She felt this book would convert me. I was working at the Hospital when Howard returned from overseas. Howard came to Tucson as soon as he was on furlough. This time, one look at him and I knew I was going to marry him. I don't think my heart has ever quieted down since seeing him that night after two and a half years. I knew in a flash he was what I had been waiting for. We were married a week later. We were married at Grandpa Busby's home. A Barbecue reception was held immediately afterwards. The Busby family was great hands at making barbecue. Uncle Dorrity cooked it that day. It was 23 June 1945. And was it ever hot that day. Howard's brother Charles and his new bride (they were married a week before we were) came with Howard to Tucson to see us married. Then the four of us went back to Howard's home in Franklin, Arizona. I had never met his folks, so I was nervous about meeting them. We arrived at their home about nine o'clock at night. They had already gone to bed. They got up and we visited till late that night. The next morning we got up for breakfast, before sitting down to eat Howard's father called us together for morning prayer. It was then that I knew that I was home! Dad Arnett gave a marvelous prayer, thanking the Lord for the safe return of Howard and Charles from the war and for their new wives. It was truly at this time that I knew I was in a good LDS home. I learned to love Mom and Dad Arnett like my very own parents. They were very good to me. They were good, faithful Latter-day Saints. Mom Arnett took me to Relief Society with her, it was at these meetings I truly learned the Book of Mormon and gained a strong testimony of the gospel. I lived near these loved ones for about nine years of our early married life. How grateful I am for this blessing. It is a wonderful blessing to have been able to marry into such a wonderful family as I have. Again the Lord was good to me. Mom Arnett's passing was a great loss to in my life. I have been extremely happy in my married life. I am more in love with my husband now than ever. Howard and I are very happy, we don't want to be from one another for very long at a time. Howard has always been very good to me. He was kind, gentle, patient and understanding from the day that we were married. I have always had the assurance that he loved me and needed me.

We were active in the Church in Franklin, held many positions in the various organizations. Howard was put in the Bishopric in Franklin; we helped build the new chapel there in Franklin. We had many friends in this Ward. Our four sons were born while we lived there. Clifford was born in 1946, Harold in 1948, Larry in 1951, and Jeffrey in 1953. Clifford was born in Safford, Arizona. Dr. Ellsworth was the doctor in attendance. It is quite an experience to give birth to one's first child. One never ceases to wonder at the miracle of life. When he was growing up, I would comb and curl his hair, I loved to dress him and take care of him. I had more time then. When he first began to talk, I'd comb his hair and say "Pretty Boy." He soon learned to say this. Every time I'd comb his hair, he'd say, "Pretty Boy." Clifford also wanted to "play talk'' with his Dad. He loved to hear his Dad talk about the farm. Some of the farmers would come over and visit Howard. That night when Howard came in after work and lay on the floor with Cliff (because his back hurt him, he had back trouble.) Cliff would say, "Daddy, let's play talk." At first Howard didn't know what he meant, but soon he learned that Clifford just wanted him to talk to him about what he had done that day on the farm. He really enjoyed this with his Dad when he was a little follow.

Harold was born with a clubfoot. Two weeks after he was born his foot was put into a cast. He wore this cast and a brace about a year. The doctors were able to straighten his foot out. Larry was born soon after Harold, a strong healthy boy. Then the next one that came along was Jeffrey. He just turned twelve a week ago, and he has informed us he wants to be called just "Jeff" and not Jeffrey. Jeff was born in Lordsburg, New Mexico about forty miles from Duncan, Arizona. We now have four sons in our household. Jeffrey gave us a scare, he was real blue when he entered this world, the cord had wrapped around his neck, but he soon became a nice pink baby. When Jeff was about six months old we moved to Mesa, Arizona then on to Blythe, California. Jeffrey was about two and a half years old when we noticed him limping. I took him to the doctor in Blythe, and they said nothing was wrong with him. He then would he running or walking and his leg would give out from under him. Well, it didn't take us long after that to take him immediately to Dr. Dixon in Tucson, who had fixed Harold's clubfoot. He took one look at Jeff, ordered X-rays and other tests. The pictures showed deterioration in the hip socket. It was Perthes Disease. Well, Jeff went in a cast from above his waist down. He stayed in this for about a year, then went into a strap apparatus that held his leg up and used crutches. He learned to run on those crutches! He would play baseball, boy, he could scoot around those bases on his crutches. Jeff was given a blessing by Apostle Kimball. He promised him in this blessing that Jeff would go on a mission and would walk. He handed him a dollar after the blessing and told him this was the start of his mission fund. Jeff still has that original dollar. Jeff is healthy and walks normally. He has some trouble now in his ankle, but his hip socket is fine.

Candace, our little girl finally arrived to bless our home. Oh, how I had waited for her. I thoroughly enjoyed my boys, but I wanted a little girl too! She was horn in Blythe, California on one of those hot July (31st) days that can happen only in Blythe, California. She had lots of black hair, but it soon turned to blond. She is our little blonde haired girl. We've really enjoyed "Candy". I have been extremely blessed with a wonderful family. The only regret that I have is that I could have had better health. I'm sure this has been a hardship on my family. For the past nine years I have not had the best of health. During my pregnancy with Candace this ill health began. Again medical science of this day and age has helped. But the greatest source of comfort and strength comes through the Priesthood of God in the home.

It was about six months after Candace was born that I decided to finish school and get my degree. There was a Junior College in Blythe, so I enrolled. Howard approved of this desire. I finished the second year in the Palo Verde Junior College. I had completed one year in my younger days at the U of A. I then transferred back to the University of Arizona for the rest of my schooling. I attended the summer school sessions for four years and took all the extension courses from UCLA and USC that I could get. Finally in the year of 1963 I received my Bachelors Degree. I majored in Education. It was hard work, but I enjoyed every minute of it. I'm very appreciative to my family for their help and cooperation. After finishing the final year at the Jr. College here in Blythe, before receiving my degree, I received a Provisional Contract and taught the second grade in the Palo Verde School District in Blythe, California. I have taught the second grade now for eight years. I've enjoyed teaching school.

I have a great desire for every one of my children to get an education and obtain their degrees in whatever field they choose. Clifford is now in his second year of college work, and we hope the other children will soon follow. As I have mentioned my health has been poor during these past few years, but the Lord has been very good to me and has given me strength to carry on. I have a great desire to regain my full health and strength again. Through faith and prayers I know this can be done. Some of the fond memories I have here in Blythe are attending the football and basketball games that my boys have played in. They played very well. I've enjoyed the plays Harold has performed in. Harold has a gift for drama and being a Master of Ceremonies. I have been extremely proud of my boy's leadership qualities. All of them have been presidents of their high school classes, served on the Student Body and been on the honor rolls. This makes a mother proud! I enjoy going to Cibola with the family on outings. We would swim, ski, fish, and just ride on the boat. Candace and I have always been together. Wherever I go she goes. We learned to fish together. She is quite a girl! I've especially enjoyed hearing the boys play the guitar, piano, and yes even their attempts at the drums. I don't know that I quite "dig" this new beat or hair cuts, but I can tolerate it. I have seen many changes in this world, some that frightens me at times. Yet I know there will be more to come and see.

I have a testimony of this gospel. I know it is true. And I know that it is only through righteous living and being close to the Lord that we can overcome our problems, trials and tests here on this earth. These things help us to grow, to become bigger and better persons. The only true happiness we have is through living the gospel plan. We must be constant and true to our faith at all times, if not Satan's influence will creep into our lives. I pray that my children will always live righteous lives, go on missions, marry in the Temple of God, that they may have joy here on this earth and then be able to go back into our Father in Heaven's presence.

Other excerpts from Ethel's Book of Remembrance:

Nine years in the Duncan, Franklin Valley

After Howard and I were married in June 1945, we went to Salina, Kansas. We rented an apartment. Soon Howard was sent to California to be discharged from the Air Force. I traveled home on the train to Tucson, Arizona and waited for Howard. I stayed with my mother and Dad. Soon Howard was mustered out of the service and we went to Franklin, Arizona. We stayed about 6 weeks or so with Howard's folks. They lived across the Arizona, New Mexico line on a small ranch. Charles and Laurene (they had married a week before we did) lived with Mom and Dad Arnett also. Charles and Howard had been in the World War II and had no home to bring their brides to. It was here that I learned to dearly love my new in-laws. They were special people. Laurene and I became very close to one another and have remained so all these years. Charles, brother-in-law, is a super man.

Howard and I then moved into the old Adobe House next to Marvin and June's home. We attended the Franklin Ward and then we bought Mrs. Barlow's home in Duncan next to the Feed Mill. We moved to Duncan into this small house. Howard worked at the Nite & Day Garage for the Allred Brothers. Clifford was born 15 September 1946 while we lived in this house in Duncan. One morning around 10:00 a.m. I went to get into our car to go do grocery shopping. I went out to get in the car but it was gone! I assumed that Howard had taken it to work that morning. I was a little surprised
because he usually walked to the garage. I called him and asked him to bring the car to me during his lunch hour. He said, "I don't have the car!" It had been stolen during the night and neither of us had been aware it was gone. The police finally tracked it down abandoned on a street in Morenci, Arizona, a mining town about 40 miles from Duncan. It was in Duncan that I was called to serve as a counselor to Francine Francom in the MIA. I worked with the music. Sang solos, sang in a trio with Fairlene Golding, and Carol Romney. These were fun days. We then moved back to Franklin. Howard went into a farming partnership with his brothers and Dad Arnett. Charles had built a cement house for Laurene near Marvin and June's home. They soon left for BYU, so we moved in their cement house so Howard could be closer to the farmland. Harold was born while we lived in this house. He was born with a clubfoot. He was put into a cast when he was about month old, then later used braces. He was a patient and good baby in all of this procedure. How grateful I am for the medical help we received at this time. He could have been a cripple for life. My mother Rose and brothers Clinton and Gary would come from Tucson to visit us in Franklin. We went to Stake Conferences in Safford, Arizona. We'd drive to Safford often to do shopping. It was about 40 miles from Duncan Valley. Howard and I bought a deep freeze on one of these trips. We enjoyed filling it from our farm produce. Safford was a nice town. Grandpa Angus and Grandma Ada lived in Lone Star, a few miles form Safford. Grandpa Clifford died in 1947. After that Grandma Ada traveled to California and stayed some with Aunt Nettie. Uncle Roy and Aunt Hazel and their children, Alice Joy and Gordon lived in
their home and Uncle Roy farmed the land. Uncle Roy is my dad Alfred's brother. The partnership broke up and Howard bought 45 acres - the Kirby Place. We moved into the house on this farm. We remodeled it some and enjoyed this home. Larry and Jeff were born while we lived here. Larry was born in Safford, and Jeff was born in Lordsburg, New Mexico. Howard went into the Franklin Ward Bishopric under Bishop Melvin Burrell. We traveled to conference with them to Salt Lake City. I was Primary President, MIA President, Organist, and Choir director and taught many classes. We enjoyed our Church service here and learned to understand the gospel and appreciate the value of it in our lives. Fred and Marvin had moved their families to Mesa, Arizona. After nine years in the Duncan and Franklin Valley we moved to Mesa. We lived there one year and then Howard and Marvin bought some land in Cibola, Arizona on the Colorado River near Blythe, California. Howard and I moved to Blythe, California. Howard drove about 20 miles every day clearing and working this undeveloped land. Soon it became a productive farm after lots of hard work, sacrifice and sweat. I went back to school after Candace, our only daughter was born. I taught school on a provisional certificate until I received my degree form the University of Arizona in Tucson. I went to school there during the summer months. I stayed with my mother and dad in Tucson. Mother babysat Candace and the younger boys. Cliff and Harold stayed with Howard some of the time in Blythe.

Grandpa and Grandma Busby's Golden Wedding Anniversary

I sang a solo at Grandpa and Grandma Busby's Golden Wedding Anniversary. It was held at the Slaughter House Home off 12th Avenue in Tucson, Arizona. Howard and I were living in Duncan, Arizona at this time. I had just given birth to our first child, Clifford in September. He was only 5 weeks old, but they wanted me to sing so I did. Aunt Eathel accompanied me on the piano. There were lots of old friends, relatives, and many I did not know. I remember Grandpa Busby bore his testimony...there were many non-members at this celebration. But he bore it any way. He was a true missionary. When I lived with him and was working at the St Mary's hospital, I would come home and tell him how the Catholic sisters were trying to convert me. He would get out all his scriptures after supper and spread them on the table and began to preach to me. How grateful I am for his strong testimony.

Missouri Trip - 1948

After Harold was bone 22 July 1948, he had to be put in a cast for a clubfoot. When he was about six weeks old, Howard and I went to Missouri on a trip. Howard was interested in farmland in Missouri. Banks Bourgeous from Franklin, Arizona married Joyce Hughes from Springfield, Missouri. Banks wanted Howard to come and see this country. So we went. We drove to Missouri in a 1937 Chevrolet that we had bought from the Allred garage in Duncan. A new engine had been installed in it so we bought it. We left Harold, our new baby and Clifford with Mother in Tucson. Off we went. We went through Gallup, New Mexico, Texas Panhandle, Wichita, Kansas and then on to St Joseph, Missouri to see Pete and Dixie Wheeler. Pete Wheeler was an army friend of Howard's. He was in the same squadron during World War II. They were together in North Africa and Italy. We stayed with them a few days in St Joseph, and then they went with us to St Louis, Missouri to see a Cardinal baseball game. The first big league game I'd ever seen. St Louis was big and the Mississippi River was impressive. We then drove down to Springfield, Missouri and spent a few days with Banks and Joyce Bourgeous. We stayed at her folds home, the Hughes. I remember the delicious homemade ice cream (peach) that they made for us. I was anxious to get back to my baby, Harold. When we reached Enid, Oklahoma I couldn't stand it any longer. I wouldn't let Howard stop. We drove all the way from Enid to Tucson, Arizona in one day, arriving around 1:30 a.m. in the morning. I had to see Harold and Clifford. I swore I'd never leave my little ones again. I was so
homesick to see them.

Harvey and Junetta's wedding day - 21 December 1959

Harvey and Junetta were married 21 December 1959 in the Mesa Temple in Mesa, Arizona. Marvin and June Arnett are the parents of Junetta. Marvin and Howard are brothers. When Howard took me to Franklin, Arizona as a bride little did I realize that Junetta their little girl would marry my brother Harvey. She was a sweet little girl. She would come over and visit me in the old Adobe house that Howard and I lived in near Marvin and June This Adobe was our first home after we were married. June always kept her tow little girls Junetta and Ilene so neat and pretty. I remember Ilene had black, thick hair. Ilene died as a young married woman with small children. This was a great loss to the Arnett family. Marvin and June raised a fine family...Rex, Junetta, Tim, Ilene, Don, Mary Anne, Barbara and Steve. Marvin was our Bishop when we lived in Franklin Ward. The Arnett's were a close family. We had many a happy get together. Nearly every Sunday after church we'd go up to Grandpa and Grandma Arnett's for home made ice
cream. Dad Arnett and his sons were in a farming partnership. Later it dissolved. Fred and Norma moved to Mesa. Later Marvin and June moved there also. Marvin and June are special people.

Bird Watching

One day in the faculty room at Ruth Brown school, winter of 1966, Charlotte McCreary (third grade teacher) said to me, "Ethel, I want you to go with me after school out on the Lovekin Road. I want to show you something." I consented. When we were on the Lovekin Road all I could see were the farmers
plowing their fields. But I did notice some birds hovering over the fields. Charlotte handed me her binoculars and told me how to adjust and use them and said, "Look at those birds." I couldn't believe what I saw! A breathtaking sight. These birds were the most gorgeous blue color I'd ever seen! Charlotte said, "Those are bluebirds that are her in Blythe for the winter. They hover over the plowed fields looking for food." Well that did it. I bought me a pair of binoculars and a new adventure was mine. Oh, how I enjoyed Bird Watch8ing. Every spare moment I spent going out to the fields, Cibola, the river, to bird watch. I made new friends who were bird watchers. Ione Arnold, Mrs. Mason, Charlotte, and others. We'd go to Cibola early Saturday mornings to watch the geese migrate in January. Then we'd eat breakfast at our little cabin on the river on our ranch. Glorious days.

House addition in 1974

One hot summer in 1974 my brother, Clinton called me from Phoenix and said, "Sis, do you still want to put an addition on your house? If so, my construction work has slowed down here in Phoenix. I can do it for you this month." We said, "Yes!" I helped Clinton. I never worked so hard. I plastered the ceiling. It didn't look so good, but I did it. Bart, Clinton's son, helped us also. Oh how I enjoyed that new living room with a fireplace and it was big and spacious! I had lived in a small house raising the kids. It felt so good to have room to move in. Larry was home from college and he was a big help too

Ira and Corrine Reid - Milpitas Ranch

Howard and I would go down to see Ira and Corrine Reid at the Milpitas Ranch. It was just across the (Colorado) river from our ranch. Howard would cross over on the boat we had or swim his horse across. To go in the car, we had to go way around to Palo Verde, 20 miles south of Blythe and then another 9 miles to get to their ranch. Ira and Howard were good friends, enjoyed one another very much. They talked, thought, and acted alike. They were outdoor people and loved nature. Corrine knew every desert animal, bird, and flower. She taught me much. She would take in the stray animals, birds that were hurt. I remember a little owl she had found. Its wings were hurt and she kept it in their old ranch house. This little owl would perch on their water heater to keep warm. She taught me about the various kinds of owls in the desert. They left the Blythe Country and moved to Gilroy, California.

Arnett Reunion in Duncan, Arizona - 1985.

On Labor Day, September 2, 1985, Jeff, Pam, Howard and I left St. David for the Arnett reunion in Duncan, Arizona. Howard and I had attended the St. David High School reunion on Saturday, August 31, 1985. We went to Fast and Testimony meeting in St. David, then got up early Monday morning and drove to Safford and then on up to Duncan. The reunion was held in the beautiful Stake House in Duncan just across the Gila River. Lark and Almeda Wilkins catered the lovely dinner for us. Dutch oven chicken, biscuits, potatoes and the trimmings. Alemda was the one that influenced me to read the Book of Mormon through for the first time. She is one of the most influential Book of Mormon teachers I know. I will always be grateful to her for her strong testimony.

We toured the valley, Duncan, Franklin and Virden, New Mexico after the reunion. We took pictures of the Franklin chapel. Howard was in the Bishopric when it was being built. Oh, the memories flooded our minds. We went to the Franklin Cemetery to visit the graves of Mom and Dad Arnett and other relatives. We drove up to Mom and Dad's old home across the Arizona and New Mexico line took a picture of their home. We showed Jeff and Pam where we lived in Duncan and Franklin. All of our sons were born in this valley. We lived here nine years.

No comments:

Post a Comment